- Quantifying-into functional dependency: Questions with quantifiers and multi-wh questions.
- A variable-free approach to wh-dependency. (Slides)
In prep. [Please send me an email if you are interested in seeing the draft.]
- Higher-order readings of wh-questions. (Paper)
Submitted. [Updated in Jan 2020]
- A hybrid categorial approach to question composition. (Paper)
To appear. Linguistics and Philosophy. doi: 10.1007/s10988-020-09294-8
- Function alternations of the Mandarin particle dou: Distributor, free choice licensor, and ‘even’. (Paper)
To appear. Journal of Semantics.
- Two types of higher-order readings of wh-questions. (Paper)(Youtube video)(Slides)
2019. Proceedings of the 22nd Amsterdam Colloquium. [See submitted for updates]
- Getting quantifying-into questions uniformly: Functionality, domain exhaustivity, and quantificational variability. (Paper)(Poster)
2019. Proceedings of Semantics and Linguistic Theory 29.
- Mention-some readings of plural-marked questions: Experimental evidence. (Paper)
Xiang, Yimei and Alexandre Cremers.
2017. Proceedings of North East Linguistics Society 47.
- ONLY: An NPI-licenser and NPI-unlicenser. (Paper for free downloads)
2017. Journal of Semantics 34(3): 447-481. doi: 10.1093/jos/ffx006
- Interpreting Questions with Non-exhaustive Answers. (Paper)
2016. Ph.D. Dissertation. Harvard University. Committee: Gennaro Chierchia, Danny Fox, C.-T. James Huang.
- Solving the dilemma between uniqueness and mention-some. (Paper)
2016. Proceedings of North East Linguistics Society 46.
- Complete and true: A uniform analysis for mention-some and mention-all questions. (Paper)
2016. Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 20.
- Mandarin particle dou: A pre-exhaustification exhaustifier. (Paper)
2016. Empirical Issues in Syntax and Semantics 11. [See manuscript 2017 for updates]
- Mention-some readings of questions: Complexities from number-marking.
2015. Proceedings of Amsterdam Colloquium 20. (Paper)
- A Grammatical view of exhaustification with focus movement:
Evidence from NPI-Licensing.
2015. Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 19. (Paper) [See JoS 2017 for new analysis]
- Obligatory neg-raising in Mandarin: Negatives and aspects. (Paper)
2014. Unpublished manuscript. Harvard University.
- Neg-raising: Focus and implicatures. (Paper)
2013. Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 18.
- Neg-raising and aspect: Evidence from Mandarin.
2013. University of Pennsylvania Working Papers in Linguistics Vol. 19. [Bad paper. Don’t read/cite. ]
Selected Talks and Posters without papers/proceedings
See a full list of talks/posters in my CV.
- A variable-free approach to WH-dependency. (Slides)
Workshop on Complex multiple wh– constructions. Univ. of Nantes. Nov 25-26
- Not Exhaustivity: Completeness and false answer sensitivity in questions. (Slides)
- Workshop “Looks, Attitudes, and Syntactic Embedding”. NYU. Nov 1
- Workshop “Exhaustivity in questions and answers – Experimental and theoretical approaches”, Tübingen Univ., June 13-14.
- Sensitivity to false answers in interpreting questions under attitudes.
Northwestern University, Tsinghua University, ILLC at University van Amsterdam, questions and attitudes workshop at Carnegie Mellon University, XPrag 2015
- Semantics bootcamp: Questions. (Part I) (Part II)
Peking University. July.
- Wh-items quantify over polymorphic sets.
CLS 53. University of Chicago. May 25-27.
- Composing complex questions: Multi-wh questions and questions with quantifiers.
- Deriving the ambiguity of mention-some questions by pre-exhaustifications. (Handout)
LSA 2016, Washington. January 2016.
- Deriving disjunctive mention-all answers. (Handout)
Inquisitive Semantics closing workshop “Questions in Semantics and Logic”, ILLC, University van Amsterdam. December 2015.
- Multiple exhaustifications and multiple scalar items. (Handout)
PLC 39. University of Pennsylvania. March 2015.
- Obligatory neg-raising in Mandarin: Negatives and aspects. (Handout)
TEAL 9, Nantes. September 2014.
- Focus structure and NPI-licensing. (Poster)
GLOW 37, Brussels. April 2014.